What Should I Do if I’m Behind on Child Support Payments?

Battling Financial Issues as a Divorced Parent

Failure to pay child support can result in consequences for divorced Florida parents. However, despite intent and desire to provide, sometimes financial difficulties present a roadblock for these parents to pay their due amounts. Conti Moore Law, PLLC can help you through these situations.

What Should I Do if I’ve Missed a Payment?

Florida strictly penalizes parents who fail to pay child support, with punishments including:

  • Fines
  • Jail time
  • Paycheck withholding
  • Seizure of bank accounts
  • Suspension of driver’s license

If possible, you should at least make partial payments while you seek modifications. These partial payments, alongside a compelling case with provision of adequate evidence of a newfound inability to provide, can aid you in court. The court will be less likely to insist that the lesser amount was the product of willful neglect.

Do I Qualify for a Modification of Child Support?

So long as you are able to show reasonable cause for a modification, Florida allows for adjustments to child support agreements. This could include proof of events that arose through no fault of your own, including:

  • Job loss
  • Wage reduction
  • Health problems
  • Changes in your time with your child
  • Changes in the financial needs of the child

It’s important to acknowledge that for change to be granted, the obligor must be able to show that these changes are both unanticipated and substantial. If the change in circumstance had a minimal effect, it may not qualify for any modifications.

After a modification is granted, parents are still expected to pay past due child support at the full previous amount. For this reason, it’s important to start the process for a modification as soon as you realize a significant change in your ability to provide.

If you are struggling to keep up with your current child support payment plan, contact Conti Moore Law, PLLC for help modifying the arrangement to reflect the amount you are able to comfortably provide.